Friday, July 13, 2007

Shetland Triangle Question

I'm only three rows from finishing the knitting on my Shetland Triangle.



When I read ahead to the finishing instructions, I was surprised to see that they asked for a "regular" bind off, and not something that would give a stretchier edge. This is only my fourth shawl, but all the others recommended a different method. I know many of you have knitted this shawl or others like it. Did you change the bind off, or were you satisfied with this one?

I was thinking of substituting the method Myrna Stahman calls the Icelandic Bind Off. Do you think that will work better?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sue J. said...

I've done Myrna's Icelandic Bindoff and really liked it. But I've never used it with a shawl. When I did use it, I really, really liked it. I'd say, give it a try.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

I just finished the shawl with a regular bind-off. I had that question, too actually when I read the directions! I didn't want my points to be very pointy, though so I was ok with the not streatchy edge. It was pulled very tight while blocking it, however. I think if you want the pointy points you should use a different bindoff than what is called for.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Here is a loose bind off used on many shawls:

K2, transfer the 2 stitches back to the left needle and k2tog TBL, k1. Keep repeating this until you're done.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home