Sunday, March 18, 2007

Seraphim Is Finished

I finished my Seraphim shawl (pattern from mimknits.com) yesterday, but rather than resorting to an indoor modeling session, I decided to show it on my stair rail. When the foot of snow that fell here over the last few days melts, I'll try for an outdoor shot.






I really liked the pattern, but I was less happy about the yarn. This is stash yarn that I've had for more than twenty years, and it is not nearly as beautiful as the yarns available now. It is from Berger du Nord, and it is 15% kid mohair and 85% wool, and so I expected a more ethereal quality. The yarn also expanded far more than I imagined. The finished measure was supposed to have a depth of 36 inches, and mine has 42. But it still looks nice, and perhaps a bit more dramatic than most of my wardrobe. I will enjoy wearing it. [A few more details are on my blog: primetimeknitter.typepad.com.]

I'm going to take a brief shawl break for a month or so to finish two sweaters, and then I'll resume with one of Evelyn Clarke's patterns as the weather gets warm (and I no longer want to knit sweaters). There is still a lot of stash yarn to knit up!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. This is a shawl I fancy doing.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

What a beautiful Seraphim! Nice work!

7:34 AM  
Blogger sunneshine said...

That looks lovely!! Such beautiful work!!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

Thank you. It is a very nice pattern, and I think a yarn with slightly more mohair, a silk blend, or alpaca would really make it more "angelic".

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home