Saturday, January 27, 2007

Making Progress

I intended to start my shawl about two weeks ago, but when I read about the request for fun fur hats (minisoup.blogspot.com), I decided to devote a languishing skein of Cherry Tree Hill's faux colorway to the effort. After a week making four hats, I started my Seraphim shawl:



I'm up to the lacy part now. I've been a little concerned that the stockinette wouldn't block out so that it makes a beautiful solid panel, but I did block a swatch, which seems to even out the stitches. I also started this with Addis and then switched to my treat for 2006--Colonial Rosewood needles (US 5s). I never knit with them before, and they are fantastic. It is too bad they're so expensive or I'd order them in more sizes.

This is not a difficult shawl, but when I saw the pattern, I thought it was perfect for this stash yarn. I have not found all this stockinette boring because I know that the lace border is coming. Also, I want to convert the knit together stitches so I can continue to knit this using the combined method, my method of choice. This is only the fourth shawl I've made, and I used continental for the others. I find that combined works better for me.

I have a question for all you experienced shawl knitters. What sort of handbag do you wear when you have ths shawls on? I tend to like shoulder bags for the most part, but they are very unattractive with a shawl draped over them. And doesn't a bag that sits on your forearm make an equally unattractive bulge there?

3 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Could you share the source for your pattern?

6:57 AM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

It is the Seraphim Shawl by Miriam Felton, available at mimknits.com. Mariam Felton has designed some other beautiful shawls that are available at her web site. The Icarus Shawl, that a lot of bloggers made this summer, was in an IK (spring 2006, I think). I'll mention this again when I post more work on the shawl, so that it is more obvious.

7:21 AM  
Blogger sunneshine said...

When wearing a shawl, I tend to either wear a small shoulder bag under the shawl, so it doesn't get bunchy or carry a clutch -- the former for more casual, the latter for dress. I can't wait to see the finished shawl, it is great to start!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home