Friday, January 26, 2007

Hi, I'm new

Hi, I only discovered this blog a few days ago and after a read I had to join. I taught myself to knit lace stitches last summer. For some reason I struggled with getting yo right. I love knitting lace stuff now. I've designed several socks with lace and cables which I love.
I'm working on a very simple lace shawl in cashmere 4ply (sock weight) which I've designed myself. I've come much further on than in the picture but I need some circulars to get a proper picture. Ive ordered some and they've been posted today so fingers crossed for tomorrow.



I'm also working on a scarf from 'Lavish Lace'. I started this months ago, then ran out of yarn. It took me a long time to get another skein and by then I'd moved on to some serious sock design and lost interest. I will finish this and think it'll be for my mum for birthday (inNovember) or Christmas, so plenty of time to finish it. I can't find where I've stored the pic for it on my pc but go to my blog and you can see a pic inth eside bar under wips.


I've also cast on for this a few days ago. It's just a very simple yo,k2tog pattern knitted in silk boucle. I love the colour. This is my easy project at the moment for when I can't concentrate or want to be sociable.


This is my main project these days. The 'Alpine' scarf from 'Victorian Lace Today' which is abrilliant book. However, when I took this picture about 20 mins ago I had a real shock as I laid the shawl out. Do you see the different colours? It's where I started the 2nd skein. The yarn is hand dyed cashmere and I've got 3 skeins, used 2 so far. In the skein they all looked the same and I didn't notice this until now. I'm devastated. I've worked so hard on this. What to I do??? I've got the last skein out to check which colour it comparest to. If it's different than both or the same as the first skein, perhaps i can get away with saying it's supposed to be like that. I'm quite disappointed really as the skeins were bought together and I tought they were more or less the same. I've got some other skeins in other colours for other projects which are bought together but I may be more careful now using them for one project in case it happens again.
This is a scarf I finsihed from 'Lavish Lace' a week ortwo ago. It's for my gran forher birthday in March.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angelika said...

Maybe you can over die the complete shawl when you are done with it? Never done it myself, but that would be my suggestion.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

that is absolutely what I would suggest, overdyeing it with a slightly darker color. you would want to do a test swatch first (obviously) to make sure you like the color it will turn out, but it could look beautiful with a slight grey tone to it.

my one question is this: who will notice? if you have gotten this far and not noticed, it is possible that once you have it wrapped around you it will all blend together and be no concern at all.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

btw - your work is goreous!!

4:36 PM  
Blogger sunneshine said...

I would wash the scarf before you decide to dye it. I have one that I made for my dad's girlfriend, when I washed it the two color lots blended and she never knew there were two lots (and she is one of those people who would have pointed it out, if she could tell! LOL)

Beautiful work!!

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you everyone. I've thought about over dyeing it but I'll wait till it's done and see what it's like. Washing it is a good idea that I didn't think of. As it's handdyed there may be some surpluss colour in the darker skein.

I'm on skein 3 now and it's similar to the first skein in colour so I could pass it off as a design feature. LOL.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home