Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Whine encore




Hear, hear. In spite of all my best intentions, I have ended up with a scarf to knit for someone, in endless mistake rib (the mistakes are endless too, I can tell you). And then I have a pair of legwarmers to do and maybe a hat. And I would so much rather be trying out the Forest Canopy pattern.

Instead, here are some pix of the Shetland Triangle I managed to fit in earlier this year. I can't persuade Blogger to put them up in chronological order. It's in Jamieson's Ultra, in Iceberg. It's quite small because it was my first proper piece of lace (I did some Feather and Fan scarves before, but they're so easy I don't really count them) and I couldn't wait get it off the needles to block it and check it out. I prepared to the nth degree beforehand, bought a magnet board, photocopied all the charts and blew them up and cut out bits and stuck them together, so that I could understand the repeats, and did swatches. I placed a marker at every 10 stitches because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and there are days when I can't count up to 10 (some days I can't count at all and then I knit socks).

I love this pattern, especially the shapely points, and would like to do a bigger one or maybe an Icarus, but I get a bit panicky with rows that get longer and longer (knitted too many Potato Chip scarves last year) so I might do a Birch next. Or that Forest Canopy... when I've finished these scarves and hats.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

I love your shawl ,its my next lace project. My first was the Forest Canopy which is much easier (basically an 8 row repeat). I totally understand the counting thing as have CFS. I use index cards with the row written out on as I can't use charts. My brain prefers letters to symbols.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Thank you, Bagpuss. That's a brilliant idea about the cards. I use magnetic strips on the magnet board to block out the other rows, but it means turning my head to the side to look at the chart and of course turning my head back to my knitting gives me time to forget what I saw on the chart.I could sit the cards on my lap and give myself a better chance.

It's funny you find letters easier. My starting on this project coincided with a really bad bout of insomnia, and every time I was totally wired at 3 a.m., I got out the knitting pattern and stared at it for a while. A couple of times this led to a Eureka moment which resulted in my getting up and doing some frenzied knitting. I'm not sure I would have made the same leaps forward if I'd been trying to do it in the middle of the afternoon. The brain is a funny thing, and it's a lot funnier with CFS.

Good luck with your Shetland Triangle when you come to it.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

It looks lovely! That's a gorgeous color.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home