Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Sad item found in a drawer

Hello everyone ... I have never finished a lace shawl before, but apparently I started one when I was young and ambitious. Last month I found this shoved in a drawer. How long ago did I abandon it? The pattern is photocopied from a 1987 magazine.



I don't think I actually used the edge pattern that's in the photocopy, so I'll have to dig for that before I can start the left and right sides; and am I about to *start* row seven in my lace book, or did I *just finish* row seven?

Plus, the big part is clearly off-white, while the additional edge & the new ball of crochet cotton are stark white. So there is bleach in its future. It smells from being in the drawer forever, so it might get bound off, soaked in Febreeze, and re-hung before I figure out where I left off.

Wish me luck, everybody. If I can finish this, I might be inspired to get some of the luxurious yarn you are all using to make your shawls. I showed this to a girlfriend last week, and she asked me if it was made of kite string.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know what kind of yarn you're using but I've read that bleach disintegrates wool!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Sad? It's beautiful! I'm sure it's glad to get a second change at being completed!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Queen Amy said...

Thanks for the tip about bleach, fickle. I cast off the live stitches, gave it a long soak in borax, then rinsed and hung it to dry. Smell's gone, and the off-white nearly matches the white. The cotton feels stiff and scratchy, but I am guessing I can use fabric softener on it when I am done (it's cotton). Now it's back on the needles, and I found the sharktooth edging, so I am ready to roll.

And Christie, thank you for the kind words. Another UFO demystified!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home